Back in 2009, I started on Facebook and I put some thoughts together under a title called 25 Random Things about me. Anyone remember that? Well, I got to the end and thought of one more thing that I wanted to say and decided not to take anything off.
So I figured since I’m back with Vision Source, but new to most folks in San Antonio, that I should offer up a little bit about me.
It’s great to be back with Vision Source practicing in Alamo Heights, Los Patios, and soon to be Olmos Park after working at Vision Source Kingwood for 9 years and taking a three year pit stop in beautiful New Hampshire. I’ve got a bio on the Vision Source website listing my achievements or whatever you want to call them (actually I don’t yet). But I know some people will make an appointment with me and probably google my name. I know I probably would.
So here’s the original version from February 3, 2009 with a couple of up to date comments in BLUE:
26 Random Things about My Life so far…
1. I scored the first run and caught the final out of the Freer Buckaroos victory over Southlake Carroll in the 1990 3A State Championship baseball game. I was probably the smallest left-handed first baseman you’ll ever see but you couldn’t hit anything past me. I’d love to play baseball with those guys again…
2. I probably learned more in my life from the experiences as a Sig Ep at Texas Tech than through anything I’ve ever done. Hanging around people that are smarter than you can help you grow as a person.
3. I’m not a big fan of people who are set in their ways. But I put up with them anyway!
4. Although I probably had a few more skills than my brother, he by far outworked me on the football field in high school, and enjoyed more success because of it.
5. I truly enjoy helping people with their vision. Come in with trouble seeing. Leave happy.
6. Everyday I try to find a way to become a better husband, father, and eye doctor. Some days I accomplish more than others.
7. I never thought I would enjoy Facebook as much as I have.
8. I never thought both my Mom AND Dad would be on Facebook.
9. I love grilling on the BBQ pit. If I can’t drink at least two beers while doing it, then I’ve cooked it too fast.
10. I have read more books in the last two years than I have in my entire life. That includes 2 audiobooks too. This has changed, but whatever.
11. My wife is really the kindest, most generous person I know. She will be embarrassed to read this, but it’s true. She takes after her mother and father.
12. I am a naturally selfish person, but I am working on changing that.
13. I like to think I have a green thumb, but I really don’t.
14. I was afraid of the water until I was about 10 years old.
15. I really wish I enjoyed fishing more than I do. I’ve always been the guy that never caught anything while everyone around me caught everything. But I’ll keep trying. Thank goodness for beer.
16. I really need a hobby. Xbox and Wii don’t really count. Taking up golf again, but looking for more.
17. I enjoyed my Facebook birthday greetings as much as (if not more than) any of the nice gifts I received. Thank you again to those who were able to send them. Don E.
18. Growing up I thought I could be a future NFL star, but then around 7th or 8th grade, I stopped growing up.
19. I’ve enjoyed my Honda Ridgeline more than any other vehicle I’ve ever owned. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. Still going strong.
20. I’ve never shot a deer, but I’ve caught a few rattlesnakes.
21. There’s so much more to being an eye doctor than saying “Better 1, better 2”.
22. I wish I could dance better.
23. I wasn’t too crazy about Disney World, but would gladly go back because my daughter enjoyed it so much.
24. I refuse to drink shots. Been there, done that.
25. I love cold weather, but I hate being cold. Survived New Hampshire and I will miss the seasons.
26. I’ve always thought of myself as somewhat of a cool nerd. Never cool enough to hang out with the really cool people for long, but always nerdy enough to enjoy the company of those who might not be considered the coolest people in the room.